Skip to main content

Immigrant Students

Students who are considered immigrant-students
non-international immigrants:

  • Permanent Residents

  • Refugees

  • Asylees

Below are the procedures for admission for Immigrant, Refugee, Asylee, and any other students who have been granted permanent residency in the United States by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

Students who are returning to Columbus State after being previously accepted in the past, click here for next step instructions.

    • However, be sure that you previously completed the 6 steps below when you were originally accepted to Columbus State. 


New applicants with permanent residency, who have never applied to Columbus State in the past, please follow the instructions below:

1. Complete the Columbus State Community College Application for Admission online. 

2. Submit a photocopy of the documentation verifying your immigration status in the United States (Permanent Resident/Green Card, I-94, stamp on passport, etc.) to the Admissions Office. You can submit the documentation in one of three ways:

  • Via email to (please send the documents as attachments)
  • Drop off in person to the Admissions Office located in the lower level of Madison Hall
  • Mail to (insert mailing address)

3. If English is not your first language, complete the English as a Second Language Placement Test.

4. We recommend that you submit your foreign transcripts to a professional foreign transcript evaluation service in the United States if you wish to pursue the possibility of receiving transfer credit for any credit you previously received at a college or university outside the United States. Click here for more information about sending your official college transcripts.

5. Check the Get Started Guide for more information about next steps such as applying for financial aid, registration, and fee payment. 

6. If you are applying for Financial Aid and are selected for verification or if your program of study (such as Nursing) requires proof of high school graduation, click here for instructions on Foreign High School Credential Submission.