Skip to main content
Students sitting

Admissions Policy

Columbus State Community College is committed to the principle of providing each student access to quality educational programs and lifelong learning. An application for admission is required for all applicants pursuing enrollment in academic credit courses. Information provided on the Columbus State Community College admissions application is used to determine initial admission status.

Additional documentation is required for certain applicant categories, such as: International/non-immigrant applicants, permanent residents, applicants with a felony, PSEO, Dual Enrollment, and other Early College programs. Applicants must complete their application by the stated Application Deadline Dates. Students not yet in high school are not eligible for admission. Applicants not meeting established procedures will not be admitted to Columbus State.

New applicants generally need to take the COMPASS/ESL Placement Test in order to determine which classes they will need to take before they enroll. Certain applicants may be exempt from taking all or some portions of the COMPASS/ESL Placement Test. For some students, prerequisite credit and/or noncredit coursework in science, reading, mathematics, and English may be needed prior to enrolling in certain courses and programs. Applicants who complete the college's placement test and place into the noncredit English as a Second Language (ESL) Basic English course are required to register and successfully complete the noncredit ESL Basic English course(s) prior to enrollment in credit-bearing ESL and other courses with specific prerequisites.

Also, many individual programs are "selective." For example, while almost anyone will be admitted into Columbus State, you'll need to fulfill prerequisites and submit an application to get into the Nursing program. Some majors are quite competitive, so be sure to read through the program admission requirements and check with an College Coaches before starting.

Not sure if you're ready for college work? Start with a basic Math or English class, or take a Developmental Education class for remedial work. We can also help you get your GED.