App Development Kickstart using Apple Swift
Get up and running with iPhone apps! Get a solid foundation in Apple’s Swift programming language and get started creating your own iOS apps. You’ll learn with a trained instructor, using official curriculum designed by Apple Inc.
Our App Development in Swift classes are designed for students at all skill levels. Some of our students have programming experience and want to add a new skill, and others are just getting started with app development.
These 8-week or 5-week classes include plenty of hands-on instruction, and take place in Columbus State’s state-of-the-art iMac lab.
App Development Kickstart 1
- Course dates: Monday, Jan. 22 – Thursday, March 15
- 6-9 p.m.
- Cost: $675 - $100 discount if you register by Dec. 15
App Development Kickstart 2
- Course dates: Monday, March 26 – Thursday, April 26
- 6-9 p.m.
- Cost: $225
- Download Registration Form (.pdf)
Contact John Sherwood at email@example.com
Part 1: App Development Kickstart 1 using Apple Swift
This entry-level class will get you started with the Apple Swift language. Following Apple’s curriculum, students will create three apps of increasing complexity:
App 1: Light (+/-)
A simple screen “flashlight” app
- Discovering Swift Playgrounds
- Understanding Constants, Variables, and Data Types
- Using Operators, Control Flow, and Xcode
- Building, Running, and Debugging an App
- Constructing a Basic Interface
App 2: Apple Pie (+/-)
A word guessing game
- Exploring Strings, Functions, and Structures
- Unraveling Classes, Inheritance, Collections, and Loops
- Discovering UIKit with Data Display and Controls
- Working with Auto Layout and Stack Views
App 3: Personality Quiz (+/-)
- Learning about Options plus Type Casting and Inspection
- Discovering Guard, Constant and Variable Scope, and Enumerations
- Working with Segues as well as Navigation and Tab Bar Controllers
- Understanding the View Controller Life CycleBuilding Simple Workflows
Part 2: App Development Kickstart 2 using Apple Swift
Go deeper by building two more sophisticated iPhone apps. This second-level course follows Apple's specialized curriculum.
App 1: List (+/-)
A to-do list manager
- Understanding Protocols
- Learning App Anatomy and Life Cycle
- Working with the Model View Controller
- Using Scroll Views and Table Views
- Intermediate Table Views and Saving Data
- System View Controllers and Complex Input Screens
App 2: Restaurant (+/-)
A web-enabled interactive menu
- Dealing with Closures and Extensions
- Creating Practical Animation
- Constructing HTTP and URL Sessions
- Utilizing JSON Serialization
- Leveraging Web Concurrency
Endorsed by Apple
Columbus State is proud to partner with Apple Inc., as one of the first colleges to teach Apple’s new course in its Swift programming language.
Columbus State is one of six community colleges in the nation chosen for the new Apple development course.
“Community colleges play a critical role in helping students achieve their dreams, and we hope these courses will open doors for people of all ages and backgrounds to pursue what they love,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook.
“App Development with Swift” is a yearlong curriculum designed by Apple engineers and educators to teach students elements of app design using Swift, one of the world’s most popular programming languages. Students will learn to code and design fully functional apps, gaining critical job skills in software development and information technology.
Courses are held in a campus Mac lab, but students must have access to a Mac laptop or desktop outside of class to complete homework. Also, students must have a solid understanding of using MacOS, including being comfortable with opening, editing, saving, and moving files/documents in the computer system.
These classes are not offered for college credit.